How to Troubleshoot Your AC Issues
With Florida’s intense heat and humidity, there is never a good time to have an air conditioner break down. Even a short wait for AC repairs can leave your home hot, sticky, and uncomfortable. To possibly save some time and money, consider doing a bit of AC troubleshooting yourself. Here are a few tips that can help:
- Check your thermostat settings: Thermostats can easily be reset, or they may lose their settings if their batteries die. Ensure the thermostat has power, change the batteries if necessary, and verify that it is set to “cooling” mode with the fan set to “auto.”
- Reset the breakers: If the control board has a glitch or a breaker has tripped, resetting the breakers for the AC unit may allow it to start normally. Find the breakers in the main service panel, switch them off, then back on to reset them.
- Replace the air filter: If your AC is running but it is not cooling properly or has poor airflow, check the air filter. If it is dirty or clogged, replacing it may solve the problem.
- Check the air ducts: Ensure none of the AC vents are blocked by curtains, furniture, or other items. Look inside the ducts to make sure there are no obstructions like toys, dirt, or debris. Blockages in air ducts can reduce cooling and contribute to a breakdown.
- Check the outdoor unit: If there is tall grass, lawn furniture, toys, or debris too close to the outdoor condenser unit, it may interfere with system airflow and heat transfers. Keep an area of 2 feet clear around the condenser unit, and if the coils look dirty or clogged with debris, have them professionally cleaned.
One of the best ways to avoid AC problems and breakdowns is to schedule at least one AC service visit a year. Routine AC maintenance is essential to your air conditioning system’s performance, efficiency, and service life, as is changing the air filter regularly.
When to Call a Professional for AC Troubleshooting
If the previous steps did not help to get your air conditioner running, it is best to call a professional. A qualified HVAC contractor can spot problems quickly and help you to avoid further system damage. At Hopkins Air Conditioning, Inc., we are happy to help with all your AC repair and service needs. Call our team right away when you notice any of the following signs of more series AC problems:
- Significantly higher energy bills than normal
- Loud or unusual noises like grinding or screeching
- Musty or sour odors
- Smoke or burning plastic smells
- Water or refrigerant leaks
- Reduced cooling output or airflow
- Frequent on and off cycling
- Trouble starting or staying on
- Electrical problems like arcing or loose connections
- A faulty thermostat or control board
We offer AC repair and emergency AC service throughout West Palm Beach and the surrounding communities. Contact us anytime for help with your AC problems.
AC Service & Repairs in West Palm Beach, FL
Unless it’s something simple, like a clogged filter or dead thermostat batteries, a professional should handle most air conditioner repairs. At Hopkins Air Conditioning, we have over 30 years of experiencing serving West Palm Beach, providing high-quality AC maintenance, repairs, installations, and more. As a family-owned company, we are highly involved with our community, and the comfort and health are our customers is our top priority. We will work diligently to get your air conditioner repaired as soon as possible, and we offer superior service and workmanship with every visit.
Call us today at 561-656-4870 or contact us online to schedule AC repairs or service anywhere in the West Palm Beach area.